Poverty Point comprises several earthworks and mounds built between 1650 and 700 BCE, by a group of Native Americans of the Poverty Point culture. The culture extended 160 km across the Mississippi Delta. The original purposes of Poverty Point have not been determined by archaeologists, although they have proposed various possibilities including that it was: a settlement, a trading center, and/or a ceremonial religious complex.
The main part of the monument is the six concentric curving earthworks located in the center of the site. Each is separated from one another by a flat corridor of earth. Dividing the ridges into three sections (formerly five) are two ramps that slope inwardly, leading to Bayou Maçon. Alongside these ridges are other earthworks, primarily platform mounds. The rings were built with their arcs against the west to keep malevolent spirits out of the complex.
The M.C. discovered the hard way that the site housed tombs of fallen warriors and horses, and whoever tried to disturb their eternal rest, starting with the archaeologist Tom Eubanks, paid dearly for their interference.